Roof leaks can develop for several reasons, such as installation errors, storm damage, or just plain old age. Our expert roofers at DryTech Roofing have always advocated the importance of fixing roof leaks as soon as you find them. Otherwise, you may have to deal with any combination of the following potential hazards:
- Damage to The Attic and Ceiling – If you see water stains on your ceiling, the effects of water damage have likely begun. At this stage, the water would soak into the wood, which would later penetrate into the paint and plaster. Signs of later stages of damage include widespread stains, bubbling, and softening of wood parts.
- Mold and Mildew Growth – Leaks increase indoor moisture levels, which encourage mold and mildew growth in the attic. The spores could later spread through the house via air conditioning vents. At the very least, mold and mildew can make rooms smell bad, and cause hard-to-remove stains. At their worst, the spores can trigger respiratory problems and allergies, cause food spoilage, and ruin curtains and other fabrics. Have expert roofers fix your leaks at the first sign of mold and mildew.
- Slippery Floors – Severe leaks can form puddles on the floor. While this can be cleaned by a good once-over with a mop, anyone in your household can slip on it, causing injury. If your home has wooden tile floors, further water damage could happen. Also, the leaked rainwater can encourage bacterial growth on carpet and grout, resulting in bad odor and unsafe play areas for the children.
- Reduced Energy Efficiency – If rainwater can get into your attic, so can heat. Inefficient attics would let indoor heat escape during cold days and let heat seep in during hot days. This increases your indoor heating and cooling requirements, proportionately increasing your energy consumption. Timely roof repairs can actually help prevent your energy bills from inflating unnecessarily.
- Compromised Roof Structural Integrity – One of the worst things roof leaks can do to your home is weaken the roof’s structural integrity, mainly due to the moisture that would get absorbed by your roof’s wood parts. This could later lead to rot and irreversible damage, requiring a complete rebuild of your roofing system.
Fortunately, roof leaks can be addressed by regular inspections and timely calls for roof repair and maintenance. Call DryTech Roofing today at (240) 491-5600 or fill out our contact form to schedule your free estimate. We serve many areas in and near Maryland.