When it comes to your home’s exteriors, such as your siding in Maryland, form and function are both essential. Your siding protects your home against the elements and enhances its curb appeal. Making sure it is in good condition all year round is critical. One of the ways to do this is to know the signs of potential problems.
To help you, we’ve listed five signs that tell you your siding needs attention:
1. Peeling of Paint. Paint peeling off the walls inside your home tells you that your siding may be damaged. It means that moisture may be getting through the siding, seeping through the wallboard, and damaging your interior walls.
2. Warping. A warped siding is a damaged siding. With a screwdriver or any relatively sharp object, inspect your siding and poke through any part that has warped. This will give you an idea of how solid the layer underneath is. If it is soft or has started to rot, it’s time to replace the siding.
3. Mold. Mold, mildew, or fungus growth on the siding, particularly near the seams, is a sign that moisture has accumulated inside the wall. If you don’t see signs of mold growth but can smell something musty, think about scheduling an inspection with a professional. A musty scent may mean there’s mold somewhere in the layers underneath.
4. Discoloration or Streaks. Discoloration or streaks on the siding are often water stains, which may signal a leaky siding. If you suspect leaks, check for loose, split, or warped boards. Water may be coming through these areas.
5. Noise. As siding often doesn’t have a tight seal, unpleasant noises may result from strong winds. If you hear squeaks and clatters that are louder than usual, the siding may have come loose. Problems occur not only with loose siding. If your siding is sealed too tightly, it may produce screeching and popping sounds.
Don’t let minor problems turn into big ones. If you see any of these signs, get in touch with our Maryland siding specialists. We can inspect your siding and tell you whether it needs repair or replacement.
With 14 years in the industry, DryTech Roofing has helped many homeowners in Maryland care for their properties. We have received awards and certifications from various manufacturers and organizations, including GAF, CertainTeed, Angie’s List, and the National Roofing Association. Call us at 877-7700-DRY to receive a free estimate and learn more about our services.