When your home needs a back-to-basics makeover, your replacement windows in Maryland should follow suit. What better choice for traditional designs than double-hung and casement windows? Both windows offer that timeless look and fit with most architectural styles. Let’s examine them in detail:
A double-hung window features two sliding sashes that open one at a time. It won’t be a stretch to call double-hung windows the most common window type in the US; take a walk down your street and you’ll likely see find a home with double-hung windows within the first few minutes. Here are some of its features and benefits.
- The sashes are horizontally-oriented and work well with symmetrical horizontal grille designs.
- One sash at a time can be opened for ventilation.
- Modern double-hung windows feature tilt-out or removable sashes for easy cleaning.
- Its sliding mechanism creates an effective energy-efficient seal.
- If you have to install a new air conditioning unit, you can remove the top sash instead of creating a new hole in the wall.
- The best advantage of choosing double-hung windows for your window replacement in Maryland is their architectural versatility. There are few architectural styles where double-hung windows wouldn’t fit in.
Casement windows have been around longer that double-hung windows. They feature a swing-out design with a central lock. The only caveat with casement windows is that they may be an obstruction if installed facing a pathway — which couldn’t be solved by proper distancing.
- While traditional casement windows have to be manually pushed and pulled to open and close, modern casement windows feature a crank that makes opening and closing much easier. This mechanism also helps keep the window in its position.
- The sashes press against the frames, creating a more efficient seal and encouraging better energy efficiency than most window designs.
- Its vertical orientation works well with just about any grille design, including unconventional ones.
- Its swing-out design lets you utilize 100% of the window area for ventilation, whereas many window styles allow only a fraction to be opened at a time.
If you’re looking for reliable and trustworthy Maryland replacement windows contractors, look no further than DryTech Roofing. Call us today at (240) 491-5600 or fill out our contact form for a free estimate.